Avoid Scalp Itch
A few simple precautions can help reduce and control common scalp itch.
- Avoid using hairstyling products with harsh ingredients, which can dry out the scalp and irritate existing scalp conditions. Read ingredient labels before purchasing. Shampoo hair in lukewarm water—hot water strips away natural oils of the scalp that protect the skin.
- Avoid over washing hair, which can also strip protective oils.
- Choose hair products made for your specific hair/scalp type.
- Avoid wearing wool hats, since wool itself can be irritating. Try cotton or a man-made fiber. To keep your skin and scalp from drying out while indoors, raise the relative humidity by using a humidifier.
- Keep thermostat at 68 degrees or below (if tolerable) in order to keep indoor humidity levels higher.
- Rinse hair immediately after swimming in a pool since chlorine can irritate the scalp. Use a bathing cap when swimming.
- Avoid sunburn of the scalp by covering your head with a scarf or hat.